Weighing In On This Popular Trend
Dr. Edwin Kwon recently spoke with Business Insider in an article entitled, Why A Plastic Surgeon Says That He Turns Away Half Of People Asking For Buccal Fat Removal. He discusses how the procedure works and, more importantly, why it isn’t for everyone:
“In approximately half of the patients I see for consultation for buccal fat removal, I strongly discourage them to undergo the procedure”Dr. Kwon on Business Insider Nederland
Dr. Kwon goes into more detail as to who may not be a candidate for this surgery:
“I discourage older patients from undergoing buccal fat removal as this can have the effect of making them suddenly appear older— I encourage patients to have a discussion with their plastic surgeon and ask for an honest opinion on whether this procedure will help them achieve their goals for their face”Dr. Kwon on Business Insider Nederland
How Does This Procedure Work?
1. You receive local anesthesia to numb the skin on your face.
2. Dr. Kwon makes a small incision in each of your cheeks, from the inside of your mouth.
3. Dr. Kwon pushes on your cheek to expose the buccal fat pocket, and the buccal fat pads are carefully cut out and removed.
4. The incisions are closed with sutures that dissolve on their own within a week.
5. Afterwards, Dr. Kwon recommends patients to be on a liquid diet for two days followed by a normal diet.
Is Buccal Fat Removal Right For Me?
This is a relatively quick and safe procedure. It can last anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes on average. Whether you want a more defined look to your face or just want to get rid of the roundness in your cheeks, it is important to schedule a consultation first to determine if you’re a candidate.
To see more examples, visit our gallery here.
Are you looking to get non-surgical or surgical procedures done? Contact my team to schedule a complimentary one-on-one consultation with both my Patient Care Coordinator and myself. We will go over your areas of concern, what your body goals are and which procedures would overall benefit you. Afterwards, my Patient Care Coordinator will assist you with quotes, pricing and any other follow up questions you may have.
Follow me on Instagram for more content @EdwinKwonMD
Edwin Kwon, MD, FACS
Edwin Kwon Plastic Surgery